Friday, December 18, 2009

This morning like every morning, we started out in prayer.  Diane and I went to the rooftop...our favorite place!  You can see the mountains on one side and the ocean on the other.  The morning brings cooler weather and my head doesn't seem as clogged up.  I am so glad my sinuses aren't bothering me as much as I thought they would.  God is so good.


 

Today we were runners and our job was to greet the children and take them through the checkpoints in order to get their sponsors gifts. If their sponsor didn't send them a gift, money or rice and beans, they were given a pantry gift. So much organization goes into the record keeping which I appreciate. When you send gifts or money you want to make sure your child receives it. So there were several checkpoints to take the child through. My heart went out to those children that didn't get anything from their sponsors. It certainly made me want to do a better job at sending cards and extra gifts to my sponsored child in Guatemala through World Vision.


 

I took the hand of the next child and their parent and we walked from checkpoint to checkpoint.  I always wonder what they are thinking of me.  Do they see that I want to help them, or do they look at me as someone who is trying to make myself feel better by giving them a handout?  People in America would think that...but the people here seem so pure.  I think the Haitians are thankful for whatever they receive.  One little boy was surprised when he found out that his sponsor had sent him a pair of fun sun glasses.  They were big, bright green plastic glasses that covered most of his small face.  He wore them proudly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment